Prosecutors on Tuesday dropped a second-degree murder charge against a Farmingdale man in a 2013 Flanders home invasion after it was revealed at trial that a significant amount of evidence—including confessions from other people who claimed to be the shooter—had never been turned over to the defense.

As part of a plea deal negotiated following the revelations, Messiah Booker, 32, agreed to plead guilty to a lesser charge of second-degree attempted burglary, a felony, for which he will serve five years in prison and five years of probation. If convicted of the murder charge, Mr. Booker, had been facing 25 years to life.

Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Glenn Kurtzrock, who led the prosecution of Messiah Booker, abruptly submitted his resignation this week after the plea agreement was reached.

Robert Clifford, a spokesman for Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota, said on Wednesday that Mr. Spota had asked for Mr. Kurtzrock’s resignation, “and he has complied.”

“The conduct of the assigned prosecutor in this case was inexcusable, resulting in further pain to the family of Demitri Hampton, and our prosecutors work tirelessly to make sure that does not happen,” Mr. Clifford said, referencing the 21-year-old victim, who was shot to death in a break-in at his Flanders home in January 2013. “Unfortunately in this case, we failed, with a devastating result.”

Mr. Booker accepted a plea agreement after his attorney, Brendan Ahern, raised the issue that the prosecution had failed to turn over some of the notes he had made on the case.

Mr. Booker’s own brother, Corry Wallace, 48, testified early in the trial that Mr. Booker was the gunman who shot and killed Mr. Hampton during a break-in at his Flanders home in 2013.

The trial was before State Supreme Court Justice John B. Collins in the Suffolk County Criminal Court in Riverside, and was to be decided by a 12-member jury, but Justice Collins told the jury not to report on Tuesday following the revelation that reams of notes had never been disclosed to the defense.

Janet M. Albertson of the Suffolk County District Attorney Homicide Bureau told Justice Collins on Tuesday that, based on that day’s revelations by Mr. Ahern, Mr. Booker’s attorney, regarding the missing notes, the prosecution agreed to dismiss the murder charge, because it would be unable to prove Mr. Booker’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Mr. Ahern had said the material he would present in court on Tuesday would prove that the prosecution deliberately violated Mr. Booker’s constitutional right to a fair trial.

On May 3, Mr. Ahern requested nearly 100 pages of omitted memos from Suffolk Police Detective Brendan O’Hara, which the prosecution did not include because the detective would not be questioned during trial.

The memos, Mr. Ahern said, created a nearly two-year gap in the investigation from May 2, 2013, through March 10, 2015. Mr. Ahern also requested memos from additional detectives, including Suffolk County Police Detective Angel Rivera.

Both sets of documents, which Mr. Ahern described as being the size of two telephone books, included confessions from people claiming to be the shooter.

The notes included interviews of people who said a white male possessed the murder weapon, a 9-mm pistol, nearly two years after Mr. Booker’s arraignment.

Mr. Wallace faces the same charges that his brother faced but agreed to work with prosecutors in exchange for a reduced sentence. Facing those same felony counts of second-degree murder and first-degree burglary, are Danielle Hall, 37, of Calverton and Michael Parrish, 28, of Coram, who is Mr. Wallace’s stepson.

Mr. Booker will be sentenced on June 9. He is currently serving time for an unrelated weapons charge from 2006.

Categories:

Tags:

No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *